• wellenschlagen



each for one month to publish them via website, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Written by Melanie Kroglowski

1. Step: Creating an individual project idea in the field of “edible campus” 

Creating an idea, or better several ideas, was not so difficult. We, my pro- ject partner and I, had a lot of ideas that sounded great for us and a good step in the sustainability process for university. We thought of high raised seedbeds, planting fruit trees or implementing a plant-exchange shelf in Mensa 1, etc. We decided for the last idea and were motivated to start planning. 

2. Step: Planning and Implementation phase 

We planned how we imagined the shelf, what we wanted to have there and how we would have liked to take care for it. Being creative was good and we forged ahead. In only a few days we knew the creative part and more or less how to do what exactly. 

But there is more. We had to consider the whole administrative and consulting background, e.g. asking ASta for permission, get in contact with Gebäudemanagement because we had to organize to be allowed to have a shelf, discuss the place for it and win university for the idea. 

Shortly before Christmas, my colleague decided to quit the module, but I decided to continue on my own which first led to a long phase of stagnation. 

3. Recovery 

After Christmas break I was sure I want to go on. But being realistic and seeing that there are other classes to do and I have to do my job, I had to confess that this project is for me as one person left with a realistic time budget, too big. I thought about scaling the project down, but the practi- cal things like paint the shelf, collecting information that can be shared at the shelf, organising plants to start, didn’t bother me. But to be honest, it takes sometimes a lot of time to find responsible people, make them be- lieve it’s worth to invest some time to get my idea told, giving permis- sions, ask other people if the first ones weren’t the right ones to ask or did not like the idea, implement changes if there can be a consensus for adaptations etc., was too much time (and maybe nerves) consuming for me. 

I didn’t want to give up and Marie and Jana had so much patience to come together and give a new start and a new idea a chance. I had some ideas and within them some favourites as well, e.g. using bio-degradable straws at Mensa, creating posters on super foods and the consequences for the growing regions and placing them at points on campus that are seen by as many people as possible or creating seasonal calendars that can be published. At our meeting we talked about my ideas and what they could imagine and accept and decided for the project with the sea- sonal calendars. 

4. Re-start 

We scaled the project on seasonal calendars down, so that I am realisti- cally able to manage and implement the project. 

I want home in a very good mood and was very motivated to start imme- diately. Back home, I prepared a cup of tea and switched of the phone. First a started a rough draft of how one calendar sheet could look like from a design perspective and what parts I wanted to have necessarily on each sheet. I made a list what should be old for every month and what could be there additionally. Having the first idea and conceptional de- sign, I started to calculate how much time I would need over all, related this to the time when it has to be finished at the latest (28th February 2020) and how much time I have to invest in one week. The first draft needed too much time, because I wanted to include too much detail for one month and thought of having a complete different design every month, only sharing the colour to something in common. But I thought, I give this a try nevertheless. Stopping the time how much I needed for January, I had to downscale this a bit. 

I created a new design with a simpler concept to adapt it for all months, but not doubling things. This resulted in the calculation that one calendar page takes around five hours including all steps as research, collecting information, design and writing the content. If I spend ten hours per week from Monday to Friday, this makes two hours a day. At that point one site existed already so I knew the calculation was not totally wrong. Creating to sites per week meant ten hours a week and the project should be done on 02/25/2020, perfectly in time and having a little time as buffer if something doesn’t work as planned. 

Searching for free pictures that can be published without license needed a little less time than expected, I was better concentrated and saved there a little amount of time, but I needed more time to decide on the seasonal tips for each month because there are so endless numbers of pieces of in- formation, that I had some trouble to select. 

5. Results 

At the end of the day everything worked out quite well and looks the way it was planned. I was able to be two days faster than expected and had time to control the contents more precise than expected. The project was finished on 02/23/2020 and is now ready to be published, as planned, by Jana and Marie via their website. 

6. Next time 

For me it was a huge problem that communication did not work and that I wasn’t able to find out what happened or what the problem was so that I could try and find a solution. I would insist more on meeting at least one more time and see if there is solution. 

But on the positive side, the outcome for me is that even if a project with someone else fails, I can find a useful new one and do this on my own and come at least to the results I thought of.